I don’t like writing about things like this, but this is a tragic reminder of what it’s like hiking in southern Utah’s deserts. I forget some times that most people don’t spend the amount of time I do in the heat. I am accustomed and come prepared, but if you are not use to it; it can be tragic.
An elderly couple were found dead today out near ‘the Wave’ a popular hike here in southern Utah. The cause of death is believed to be heat related.
I cannot stress enough the importance of water.
In high heat situations I probably drink close to 2 liters of water in a normal 4 mile hike or so. Even then that might not be enough.
Some tips to think about:
- Avoid hiking in the middle of the day.
- Bring extra water. I never go anywhere without at least 2 bottles, but usually 4.
- Plan your hikes in the spring and the fall.
- Make sure everyone in your party has enough water.
- Read up on some basic safety skills when dealing with heat.
I wrote about this a few months back, here is the link.